Saturday, April 24, 2010

My six year old son on Daytrana for adhd and he has aspergers disorder?

My son had I don't want to say has because I know the good lord has healed him. Had adhd and Asperger's disorder if any one is not familer with that it's a form of Autisim. My question is he wears the patch for his adhd the med. is Daytrana and he has been on this med. since Dec. 18 06 here the last couple of months he has been picking at his ear , his face, and any scab he can find on his body until it bleeds. I was wondering which I have asked on here already if it could be the Daytrana that is making him do this because he can't stop it's almost like he is upsest with is he tells me his skin tickles. I have hard that some meds. can make your skin feel like it's crawling. Could it be the Asperger's disorder that is making him do this. I don't know I already took him to his doctor and he looks at it and all he did was give me a presc. for ointment.He tells me that it's just a habit he has picked up. I should had said something because I was thinking why all of the sudden.

My six year old son on Daytrana for adhd and he has aspergers disorder?
Daytrana is a stimulant (it has the same active ingredient as Ritalin), and I think it extremely unlikely it could cause skin picking. Common side effects are things like difficulty sleeping, and loss of appetite, not skin picking. I takes Concerta, which has the same active ingredient as Daytrana, and I'm quite certain that my doctor wouldn't have prescribed it to me if there were any known risk of self injurious behavior associated with it as I already have a history of cutting, and she was reluctant to prescribe something that had a 0.4% chance of increased suicidal thoughts or behaviors as a side effect for that reason.





Skin picking (and other forms of self injury) are fairly common amoung autism spectrum disorders, so I would attribute it to the Asperger's rather than the medication. However, he should be seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist with experience working with autism spectrum disorders, as well as his regular pediatrian (or whoever gave you the ointment). Skin picking in a six year old isn't something that should be written off as "just a habit he has picked up." It's something that needs to be addressed by a mental health professional with experience working with autistic children.


No comments:

Post a Comment