Saturday, April 24, 2010

Finger Skin Picking Habit?

For as long as I can remember, I've been tearing skin off my fingers, usually until it bleeds. I've read this could possibly be a sign of OCD or an anxiety disorder. I have noticed that I do it subconsciously, sometimes when nervous and other times when bored. I do show OCD-like symptoms sometimes but nothing I would say interferes with my life and therefore would not make me think that I have a "disorder." Am I wrong? Could there possibly be an underlying mental problem accompanying this habit that I don't know about? I'm not concerned about stopping this habit. I've tried and nothing works.

Finger Skin Picking Habit?
it is possible that you may have a form of OCD. What needs to be understood is that there are many forms of OCD and every individual is different in their symptoms and habits. The difference between having a disorder or simply a bad habit is whether or not your behavior is considered more of a ritual. If you cannot continue on with your day or it severly irritates you if you are unable to pick the skin from your fingers then this may be a form of OCD. However, it sounds more like you just have more of a habit. If it doesn't bother you or effect your life I wouldn't really be to concerned about it. People are quick to assume that they have a disorder just because something is different or they have one symptom that relates to a disorder. Chances are, you are just fine and I wouldn't be to concerned.
Reply:It sounds more like a nervous habit rather than a mental dysfunction.





We all exhibit some physical manifestation of tension release when we are anxious or bored.

elephant foot

No comments:

Post a Comment